Music has been transforming and developing for decades. Each time technology changes so does music. Music is a medium through which we express ourselves, it gives us an escape. However recently, the biggest changes in the industry have been influenced by technological advances. New music technology, new recording technology, listening to technology, etc. have changed the way the industry has been transformed.
The way we listen to our favorite music has changed dramatically, too. Some years back, the only way to listen to music was to watch it live or on TV. But with the intervention of recording technology and tools, we have come forward from records to cassettes, CDs to Audio Streaming Server Software. Rather than purchasing a CD to enjoy music, you can listen to your favorite songs online in a click. Music streaming services means that artists can have their music listened to by their audience globally.
It Changed the Way Music is Made
Not just the way we listen to music, it has also changed the actual production of music. Most artists use auto-tuning technology to cover the imperfections in their pitch or tone. While earlier, the quality of music has been judged by the talent of the artist, today technology can support to make it sound better. Even musical instruments can be replicated by technology, and tracks can be produced quickly as well.
Demand and Popularity of Audio and Video sharing websites
On-demand audio streaming accounts for over 70% of total audio consumption. With the rise of audio streaming services, on-demand music streaming has surpassed all other formats, including physical and digital album sales. There are several websites offering audio and video streaming services and the number of the user base of this site is also increasing. Due to the increasing popularity and demand of these audio sites, most of them are offering social networking tools as well.
How Did It All Start?
The story of music streaming started with the launch of Internet Underground Music Archive (IUMA) in 1993. It was started as a venue for unsigned independent artists to share their creations and connect with their audience. The sole purpose of IUMA was to allow artists to distribute their music through unconventional channels than distributing it through a record company. Popular artists register with a web page and a free URL to present music over the web in streamable and downloadable internet radio format.
Introduction of MP3
The same year, MP3 format was introduced, it was a breakthrough in sound technology. The breakthrough brought in by Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) allowed compression of a sound sequence to small size file for digital storage and transmission.
Napster- Late 90’s
During the late 1990’s Napster came into existence at a time when digital music was a big thing as CD players were popular. There were many people who were connected to the internet using a dial-up connection. Napster enabled users to have an audio file that was much smaller than a CD, download it over the web and play it back on a personal computer. So many users started to copy music from CDs and share copyrighted music on peer-peer services like Napster.
The launch of iPod-2001
The iPod was introduced in October 2001 and it was a Mac-only product when launched, meaning it was just compatible with Mac OS. Due to its small size and ease of use, it was a unique product and resulted in higher sales.
iTunes store launch-2004
Apple unveiled the launch of iTunes in 2004 when they realized that music could be transferred from an online source. The launch of iTunes stores was aimed to offer listeners a legitimate source to access and purchase music at affordable prices.
Pandora Internet Radio launch-2005
Pandora internet radio was launched in September 2005 with the aim of having an individual radio station for each user to access good music. It was the first among its kind to offer personalized music streaming experience for users.
In the year of 2007, SoundCloud was launched as a sole platform for sound sharing and streaming. Just like Flicker has been for images, YouTube for videos, SoundCloud was for audio and sound.
Spotify was launched as a freemium service which offers music streaming with digital rights management protected content from media brands. Freemium refers to a model where audio is offered completely free to listeners with advertisements and premium features.
Entry of apple music-2005
The year 2015, saw the launch of Apple music with the intention of emerging as a cultural platform where users can browse music to stream to their devices. It also offers the option to listen to curated and existing playlists.
Introduction of SoundCloud Clones
SoundCloud is the leading social sound platform in the world where users can record and upload sounds to the platform and share them publicly or privately. SoundCloud clone is nothing but a similar sound sharing website like that of SoundCloud to enable recording and uploading of sounds. The SoundCloud clone script is the state of art for any start-up business looking for audio streaming, uploading, sharing and distribution of sound over websites.
SoundCloud is focused on streaming along with some excellent features like discovery, sharing, playlist, etc. It provides an opportunity for users to browse and listen to songs from a popular artist and record labels. Whether you want to enjoy music from your favorite artist or podcaster, you can explore music easily with the Soundcloud.
SoundCloud Clone Follows Subscription-Based Music Streaming
SoundCloud Clone integrates licensed music from popular labels into existing or uploading content. It flaunts expanded catalog of everything, including garage bands and Grammy winners.
Here are some of the major features of audio streaming service.
-Large song library of different artists, genres and countries
-Explore new trending music
-Listen to your favorite songs and artists
-Play, pause and skip tracks
-Create a personalized playlist and share it with friends
How to build a SoundCloud Clone- Where to begin?
Streaming music is a tough task as music is expensive. You have to be constantly motivated and consistent to make it. Here is the main SoundCloud clone aspect you must keep in mind.
Your SoundCloud clone application must offer the basic functionalities of music to users along with some additional features to stay ahead of competitors. Make sure that your application is compatible with all mobile devices.
Top quality UI/UX
No application can stand out among others without high-quality web design and entertaining user experience. That’s why it is an important part of business success.
You have to pick the right business model to monetize your efforts and keep the business going successfully.
The music you are likely to stream on your website costs money and you must have the right license to deal with copyright owners.
Any revolutionary app will fail if you don’t have proper budget management. You must plan your expenses well to keep your business stay alive.
Using SoundCloud Clone for a Powerful Music Experience
Based on however you like, the application can be used. But there are 3 main ways how you can really take advantage of the service.
Follow Other Users to Discover Music
When you click on a user, you will be redirected to their profile and can browse their playlists and what they post. You can follow them like in any other social network and track what they post.
Create Custom Playlists
When you hear the music you like, you can tap in the three dots to add it to your playlists. You can also access your recent stations from other user profiles.
Download or Buy Tracks
When you search on the web, you can see links to download or buy in some tracks beside the share button.
Upload Your Sounds and Tracks
SoundCloud is a social platform with the functionality of users to upload their own music and audio tracks. You can also share your audio track via social platforms.
Connect with Other Users
SoundCloud allows you to connect with other users via messaging through web applications.
You can join and take part in groups where you can explore and share their favorite soundtracks. By clicking on your profile name on the web, you can see the groups you are a part of.
Just like any other social networking platforms SoundCloud also offers a notification center. You can receive notification from users whom you follow.
To Wrap It Up
Music is an integral part of people’s lives and there has been a whole world of transformation from that era to the age when record store came into existence. If you listen to on-demand music on SoundCloud or Spotify, you might have wondered about the evolution of music streaming. You might be even looking to build an Audio Streaming Server Software. If so, it is recommended to get a custom made SoundCloud clone via third-party ready-made web clone script that is customized according to your requirement. Customized SoundCloud clone script is the best choice to build your own social sound streaming platform. On-demand music streaming service will continue to maintain its hold as the latest trend in the industry.
Talk to our experts right away
If you are an independent artist and looking for a way to sell your music, this guide will give you a head up. The music industry has been through a complete make-over and everything has changed drastically over time. From musical instruments, modus operandi of music recording, distribution channels, to the devices used for listening to music, everything has become more accessible as compared to the past.
One of the perks of this evolution is the online distribution of music that boosted the range of global music to every conventional music lover. I am referring to the incentives that tag along with internet and the ability to share your creations with a global audience via online platforms.
In this article, we will learn everything you need to know about music distribution and making money as an independent music artist. We will explore every other possibility you can leverage from online media to earn money, royalties, and fame with your creations. Let’s begin with the basics.
How to distribute your music independently?
The physical distribution of music was a luxurious task which only labels could do for you. Before online media became this popular, the most difficult task was getting in terms with a label for your music release and distribution. Many talented artists did not come in the limelight and we missed out some great music because of the hassles and limitations of physical labels.
Now that everyone is well connected with the internet, and there is no shortage of online channels to share your music. You get unlimited options to sell your music online and make money with independent music distribution.
Who are independent music distributors?
The best way to sell music online as an independent artist is tagging along with an independent distributor. They eliminate your over-dependence on big labels to sell your music. These companies facilitate the ease of release through online distribution by connecting unsigned artists with mainstream music platforms.
They are also the aggregators who are experts in delivering content to different music streaming platforms. For a fee, they can correctly format and deliver your music to the streaming service’s/sellers’ specifications.
These distributors provide a complete online mode for event planning, which includes a digital partnership to get everything managed by them. You can choose a distributor, sign up on their website, upload your track, and plan the release schedule. You can then wait for the event when they will release your music on different streaming platforms based on their terms with them.
How to tag along with a music distributor?
The traditional music distribution involved distributors and sellers. The distributors offered the label that encouraged people to buy your tracks. The sellers sold the physical CDs, cassettes, and records through their channels.
This system still exists in digital media. However, the accessibility and the modus operandi have simplified. Today, the distributors have gone digital and sellers have gone eCommerce. With this ease, many new distributors have come along who don’t mind distributing your independent creations. Before choosing the right distributor for your unsigned music, consider the following aspects:
- Commission: Some distributors take a commission cut from your revenue, while many others give you 100% of your earnings and charge just a fixed cost. Depending on the model, they can demand anyone or both of the payment systems.
- Extra Services: Some distributors also provide value-added services along with the distribution. These services also include promotion and pre-release sale. Example, iTunes pre-release and SMS keywords.
- Exclusive distribution: Some distributors demand exclusive partnership, while many others allow you to partner with multiple distributors at a time.
- Distribution channels: Some distributors sell your music to one exclusive platform, while some prefer selling rights to multiple music platforms at a time. Depends on their terms with different music streaming platforms.
- No middlemen: Some popular music streaming platforms offer direct distribution services. You can partner with them to sell your music at once on these platforms and eliminate the middlemen from distribution. iTunes is a great example. It allows both independent and aggregated content; only the content needs to be in their format and in the instructed specifications.
- Market reach: Some distributors are good for a certain market only, while you might choose many others with a reach in the global market. Some local distributors are much better than global distributors for a specific market and audience.
Choosing the right distributor for the right market can make or break or sales performance. Always consider the above aspects before choosing a music distributor.
Some well-known names for distribution and selling
Just to give you an idea here is a list of some popular music distributors and music streaming platforms. You might want to check out the best platforms and distributors in your local market too-
Well-known online music distributors-
- CD Baby
Well-known music streaming platforms-
- Apple music
- Amazon Music
Well-known music streaming platforms with direct artists uploads-
- Google Play Music,
Well-known music labels for branding-
- Warner Music Group
- Sony Music
- Universal Music Group
How to plan your music release?
Planning your release involves everything from scheduling a date, choosing a target audience, to selecting a release platform. A simple strategic move can get you exposure of millions and good earning. Whereas a wrong move can end up in breaking the sales, piracy and all sort of things you wouldn’t want your music to deal with.
You may want to consider the following aspects to sell your music with a proper release plan-
- Besides mainstream: While a release on mainstreaming streaming channels would simply get you good exposure, you should also consider some niche platforms based on your music genre. For example, if you are an independent DJ and have created some nice beats, platforms like Beatport can give you additional exposure and earn.
- Appropriate date: Choosing an appropriate date is also an important determinant. Choose a nearby date that can give an additional push to your music. For example, you might want to release a romantic song in Valentine’s week. A party song in the Christmas to New-year season.
- Leverage social media: Make sure to collect as much social media coverage before the release. Social media is full of opportunities to make an unsigned artist a celebrity. Memes, hypes, controversies, social media has every ingredient gain massive coverage.
- Pre-release sales: Platforms like iTunes offer various marketing tools that help in promoting a release. You should consider using iTunes’ pre-release booking and SMS keywords to sell your music in unique ways.
How to boost post-release sales?
Now that you know how to sell your songs online, the next big thing would be learning how to boost your sales. It’s an important step for an unsigned artist as it leads away to the mainstream media.
- Hopping along with an independent music distributor carries its own benefits. They give access to tools like iTunes Pre-release SMS keywords, which boost sales. In fact, these tools are often used by even the biggest labels.
- With iTunes Pre-lease, you can start selling your music before six months of the scheduled release.
- With SMS keywords, users can purchase your tracks by typing a keyword with a selected number. It removes all the hassles of searching, purchasing and downloading by directly adding the purchased track to your list.
- You can promote your newly released song in the live events. It will boost up your songs PR when it is still fresh. Additionally, you can sell the rights to use the songs in TV Shows, Ads, and other events.
- Customize the geographic accessibility of your song. It will help you avoid the hassles in some regions. For example, if you are releasing a remix version of a popular song, the geographic restriction will let you avoid the copyrights claims in the areas where re-mix is not allowed without rights.
How much money can you make selling unsigned music online?
Honestly! Not much. As an unsigned artist, you cannot expect your music to go viral overnight like those popular artists with big banners. Even the compensations you get from different music streaming platforms is not enough to pay your rents.
Here is how much top music streaming services pay to music artists-
- Groove Music- $0.02730 per play
- Napster- $0.01682 per play
- Spotify- $0.01284 per stream
- Apple Music- $0.00783 per stream
- Amazon music- $0.0074 per play
- Google Music Play- $0.00611
- YouTube Music- $0.00074 per stream
Here is an image from the thetrichordist’s report to explain in detail-
Even the top music streaming platforms don’t pay much per stream. Moreover, when this revenue comes with deductions from the distributions partners, it becomes even lower. Only when you can secure a million views, the earnings will be considerable.
It’s not about revenue through
Even if these platforms pay you some money, selling as an independent artist is not about passive revenue. It’s about the other doors you open after being featured on popular streaming platforms. It’s also about other benefits that tag along with fame you get.
- Being featured on a popular platform lets you get into the playlists of new fans and music lovers. Ultimately comes fame and sets a path for further releases. This fame would also help you get a following on social media, and opportunities to create your own music streaming platform once you are famed.
- Being featured on these platforms improves your credibility with a more professional approach. With this exposure, in no time big labels might want to work with you. Who knows, giant distributors might purchase the rights to use your track in a movie, TV ads, or a live concert. You should aim for this earning rather than limiting yourself to the pennies/stream.
Sell your music now
Once you are ready with your track, you have so many options for spreading it to the music lovers. You just have to understand the process and steps needed to be followed. Hopefully, this article could explain the same. Now you can make an informed choice.
Talk to our experts right away