YouTube is a website where users can upload, share, view, report and comment on videos. They can subscribe to other users. It uses Adobe Flash Video technology to display a variety of corporate media videos and user generated videos. It also uses WebM along with the flash video technology. Registered users can upload an unlimited number of videos and can add comments to videos, while unregistered users can only watch them on site. The videos that are deemed offensive / sensitive are accessible only to users who register themselves to be an adult. The site earns advertising revenue mostly from Google AdSense, a program that targets ads according to site audience and contents. The videos, most of them are free to view but few of them include premium channels that have to be subscribed. The website has been ranked second most popular site by a web traffic analysis company called Alexa Internet.
Some Interesting Observations on YouTube
Favorite Video Sharing Website
YouTube is the most famous video sharing website than all other websites that provides a facility to download and upload without any limit.
United States Viewership
United States is listed among the top listed countries for its viewership and comes at 2nd number in the top ten ranking list. The US is next to United Kingdom for watching YouTube the most, in the world. Many people in the US are interested in earning through YouTube just by uploading videos such as movie trailers, funny videos, horror videos, news videos and other interesting videos and various other types of videos for different channels.
Videos are not only about shooting and uploading, but money in there is huge and with 1-2 years of experience in making videos people can get money out of it.
Other Ways of Monetization
There are other ways to earn money rather than just uploading the videos.
- The best money making way is to sell your products using YouTube with SAAS websites such as Shopify.One can make videos that fit in to your product niche
- Build the brand name through the videos and once established, begin to drive traffic to landing pages where you can up-sell the viewers with premium content. You can use Yondo which let you create your own stores that sells on-demand video contents with domain name.
- Attract the sponsorships where the amount generated through revenue from sponsorships is substantially more than YouTube ad revenue.
- Live speaking engagements is a great way to generate thousands of dollars from just an hour or few minutes’ long presentations.
FACTS about YouTube:
- The total number of people using YouTube all over the world are more than1.3 billion.
- The first video was uploaded on 23rd April 2005
- Every single day about 5 billion videos are being watched and 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute YouTube got 300 million visitors a day.
- 25 billion hours of video is being watched on YouTube every month.
- About 10,0000 videos are generated over 1 billion views and 80% of YouTube views are from outside of US.
- Male users are 62% while female users are 38%
- There are 500+ million channels on YouTube
- Average viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes and the average number of mobile YouTube video views per day is more than 1 billion.
- YouTube on mobile and overall reaches more to 18-49 and 18-35 olds compared to any cable network in the US
- 9% of small businesses of the US use YouTube
- Due to navigation option from YouTube to 76 different languages, it is viewed widely by 95% of internet population.
- Approximately, a video creator when upload a video on YouTube, can earn up-to $2000 for every million views.
How to get benefit from YouTube as an Entrepreneur or Freelancer?
- Few entrepreneurs hosting YouTube channels, focuses on their company’s welfare and what lessons one can learn from their business. This Week in Start-ups channel, one such example is the channel hosted by Jason Calacanis. The in-depth interviews uploaded in the channel keep the viewers up to date with the latest happenings in the digital world. Various channels are maintained to provide insights that may be considered for setting your own setup.
- In YouTube, few channels are built to provide information for Entrepreneurs. For instance, Entrepreneur Magazine brings the latest information and ideas in short daily videos. The topics range from current topics to inspirational advices from business world icons like Richard Branson.
- Small Business Administration is a YouTube channel started 50 years ago, which provides entrepreneurs with financial, advocacy and counselling services online and in person. Such videos have a higher number of subscribers and earnings would be higher as it efforts to educate people who are starting their own companies.
- For freelancers, YouTube is becoming a viable marketing option. They can create a video that explains the writing, intake processes for a client. They can also make an online portfolio that showcases your work and add music to it.
- A freelancer software developer can make approximately $100 per hour by using YouTube channel.
In short, using YouTube as a source of income by having your own channel can be quite beneficial for anyone. No need of prior expertise, just sell what you are good in and you will witness the results in a matter of a few weeks.
How to Make Money from YouTube?
Making money on YouTube by just uploading your favorite or informative videos would be a passionate job for any one. People who are at home or for home makers, this would be a great idea. There are various steps to learn how to make money on YouTube. They are as follows.
- Build your Own Channel: First thing for building your own channel is signing up. You are required to create an account with a username and a strong password. Then, create your own channel on YouTube or of your personal presence with a camera. Each account has one YouTube channel attached to it and it is similar to Google account where you get access to other Google products such as Hangouts, Drive and Gmail.
The next major thing is to add keywords such that people can find your channel easily. This can be done by adding keywords by navigating to the advanced section of the channel settings.
The most important thing is to relate the keywords with the content. The username added by you can sometimes work against you. Therefore, if it the username is short, original and easy to remember then people will be apt remembering you. If you are using an existing account then you can change by editing in Google+ account.
- Add content: To make money on YouTube, try to upload a content that is of high-quality and not overlong which keeps continuing where users may get bored. To stay consistent, you can also try to upload regularly. If you are a beginner and fresh to the field of making videos and uploading to make money on YouTube, and the content is not great then, tread with caution.
Try to improve and make each video better than the previous one. Your audiences shall admire your video making skills.Be informed that the quality of the content can be improved by using a better digital camera and using advanced software or techniques.
To improvise the quality of the film or video, use tripod or get a friend for help to light the scenes better. These all aspects result in a better product that in turn gets better audience which helps you make money on YouTube.
Upload the videos regularly, and that can help to hold the audience. If people show interest in the channel for watching the videos, they are more likely to subscribe. You need to maintain the mentioned schedule as much as possible. Tag the videos using keywords that describe the content with eye-catchy and impressive description. This, in turn, drives people to your videos from searches.
- Gaining Audience: Do you know even how much money do YouTubers make? Audience are the main source to make money on YouTube. Hence, building them is the key to make money from YouTube. This again narrows down to the ulterior motive of making people watch the ads, in order to make money from them. Making the best content is the only secret to improve the views that increases the number of audience or viewers. Try to get them hooked by uploading content regularly.
Sharing the videos on Facebook and Twitter which helps you get the audience. Interacting with audience by responding to their comments and making videos related to their comments and question can help you with it. Connecting with your own community.Keep adding other members into your community. This strategy will help you to make money from YouTube.
- Monetization: To make money on YouTube videos, enable monetization. In other words, allow YouTube to place ads in your video. Acknowledge that there is no copy writing in the content. To monetize :
- Visit YouTube, then click “My Channel”
- Click “Video Manage” link on top bar
- Click the channel and enable monetization
- To start earning money on YouTube get at least ten thousand views: Monetize the video after uploading using Video Manager Option and click “$” sign next to the video to be monetized. Check the monetization option by enabling Monetize with Ads box.
- Enable Google AdSense: Enable Google AdSense from AdSense website for free. Signup to create a personal account. Please be informed that you need to be an adult to maintain a personal account. AdSense verifies you to send money, by information from bank account or PayPal account and a valid mailing address.
You can earn money from YouTube only by ad click and smaller amount per view that adds up over time. Therefore, having audience plays an important role.
- Analytics: Check your analytics after having some videos online. Once you get them monetized, the onus is inherently on you to check the analytics to see how the videos are performing. In the analytics option, you can view the demographics and estimated earnings, ad performance and views. There is always an option to change your marketing strategy if the audience are not interested to view your videos.
- Marketing: Do not stick on only to YouTube to earn money. Use content marketing strategies. For instance, you may start a blog or post them on other social or other video sites. Make a website because, the more views it gets, better are the chances of earning money from YouTube. By sharing the link on the social websites, the chances of getting noticed are also high.
- Partnership with YouTube: YouTube partners have monetized videos with a large number of viewers. They have an access to content creation tools which can win rewards for the number of viewers they have. YouTube partner page is the place where you can join for the partnership with YouTube.
- Use the services: Me is a service that allows you to easily create quizzes and polls that helps to increase the revenue. Create a questionnaire and invite audience to answer it. More the people visit the page on Supp.me, the more you earn money from YouTube. This a great way to get the feedback and to increase the earnings from YouTube.
What is StreamTube?
StreamTube is a turnkey Content Management System that lets users build a YouTube clone site. It is a video CMS (Content management system) having standard features of YouTube, thereby enabling you to launch your own video sharing website. The CMS for StreamTube is powerful and feature-rich. It is designed to handle a huge volume of data. It provides all the necessary technological features to create a niche of video sharing website which in turn can generate traffic from the search engines.
It is not only a software with various interesting features but has monetization channels, embedded model and it is open sourced which enables the user to customize as they like.
- Ads Management: To make money, the user can enable the ads option for their uploaded videos. This feature enable the user to decide how and where the ads need to be displayed. They can change the settings of advertising campaign.
- Creating and subscribing the channel: Users can create multiple number of channels and the viewers can watch them by subscribing to the channels of their interest. They can get notifications from the subscribed channel for new video uploads.
- Dynamic Administration: It has a dynamic and robust admin panel which gives a wide range of options to the users. Such options include: adding, editing, updating, removing individual’s profile or any uploaded video.
- No limitations: The users can create and upload unlimited number of videos on their platform. The scalable architecture of StreamTube handles unlimited users at the same time.
- Cost effective strategies: It has a very cost effective search engine optimization module (SEO) that grabs organic traffic and will also help to create brand awareness.
- Payment Options: The payment collections are through PayPal which seamlessly facilitates payments from all over the globe. Has other convenient payment options too.
- Video resolution conversion: There is a feature called Auto resolution which can convert a high definition video in to multiple versions. A video can be watched in any resolution with the help of this feature. Compatible with Android and iOS.
- Report Abuse: Any user or video that abuses laws of the website can be flagged and there is an option to ban these reports through admin panel.
Advantages of having a YouTube like site rather than having a YouTube channel:
YouTube channel has made advertisements with un-skippable timeline of 30 seconds where the user has to wait for a few more precious seconds before watching the next video. The advertisements not only hinders business relations but also affect important business events. The channel lacks seriousness because it is mainly being watched for entertainment. Professionalism is lacking to some extent and chances of embarrassment are high in case of professional meetings where embarrassing ads would be played before going to the main content.
The Channel is public where anybody can watch the videos especially, small kids who watch objectionable content without parental guidance. Limited customization where you cannot choose a template design of choice and the logo cannot be tweaked from the video player.
If you have any doubts or concerns, feel free to drop a line or two in the comments section. I shall reply in a day or two. Keep watching this space to learn more about YouTube marketing strategies. Subscribe to our newsletter to keep yourself abreast of various video marketing strategies. My best wishes are with you and your YouTube channel. Cheers!