It is certainly noticeable that YouTube has taken over the world by storm in the modern era. Other platforms such as Netflix and Dailymotion are widespread as well but YouTube with its startling features and unparallel user-friendly attributes is the portal connived by most of us. Being the sole antecedent and the source of education, entertainment, news and gossip YouTube is definitely a podium which has been accepted by all and sundry. YouTube, unlike other platforms do not ask for a subscription from the viewers. It is probably one of the only places from where video streaming is legally free.
Certain website owners look to implement a YouTube like portal which would be able to collect revenue as well as allure internet savvies to an unblemished and superlative content. Generating a YouTube clone might be familiar to most, but it is also asks for a lot of patience and composure. The setup might be expensive but the quality remains uncompromised. Video CMS software such as StreamTube creates the best YouTube clone in the market at the moment adhering to the goal of creating an impeccable website which would be beneficial for both the website and its viewers. Sharing videos, commenting on them and even saving them is only possible on a platform similar to YouTube.
Related Content – YouTube Business Model
Revenue is basically collected from viewers indirectly and advertisements with a direct approach. One can obviously monetize through variety of schemes which had been commenced by YouTube clone makers. These are basically payment portals which is also a reflection of YouTube payment gateways. Pre-rolled advertisements which are obligatory start playing once you would click on the thumbnail. You won’t relish an option here since you wouldn’t be given any. One has to watch the advertisement to attend the video.
Target customers must either be the ones who are on the prowl across the internet to watch their favorite video, sport or flick or the crowd which include video developers, brands who upload clippings which are most recent and are again of utmost value. Marketers have not been in the spotlight much but even they provide commercial video content which kicks off at the beginning of the videos.
How to build a website with minimum expenditure?
The task which was considered harassing is nothing close to insurmountable anymore. Creating a YouTube clone using PHP Video CMS is a common task carried out by many software solutions around the globe. WordPress would equip you with themes which can be both free and chargeable according to your exigency. It is crucial to realize the category of portal one is asking for before the commencement of development and designing. A video sharing website or a YouTube clone can achieve its goals if certain norms are maintained. These include:-
- An exclusive collection of videos with charismatic content.
- Designers must be allowed to earn from videos.
- Escalation for branding.
- Playlists of videos must be created, watched and shared time to time.
- Search options are agile and user friendly
The price of getting a YouTube clone to work solely by manual means would range more than a thousand dollars; whereas there are certain PHP Video CMS which will facilitate you to initiate an unharmed YouTube clone with a cost of around four hundred dollars. Customization, according to the requester will incur a different charge altogether. Video CMS such as StreamTube contain a video distributing script with a dedicated admin panel offering more than one input layouts for the benefit of users. The CMS besides being robust and authoritative is also laid out to handle enormous and comprehensive amount of data. StreamTube guarantees to spawn traffic through certain inclusions while designing the website and also allows the requester to customize the website which would meet their own demands. With an ingrained business exemplary, payment gateways and customizable characteristics StreamTube leads the market of the video CMS industry. PHP is the platform over which websites are designed at StreamTube.
Related Content – How Much Money Do YouTubers Make
Creation of a YouTube like clone is also driven by factors such as Domains, Branding, Hosting and Marketing Websites. An unblemished web domain accompanied by online hosting is an indispensable feature which cannot be ignored while generation an e-commerce site availed by public. The choice of a domain name must be straightforward so that it can easily be recollected and should be catchy enough to turn it into a brand with time. One can also prefer prefabricated scripts in place of tailored websites.
Branding is as crucial as selection of Domain since it grants uniqueness to the website among other competitors. Uploading viral videos can also be constructive since users are attracted to them in general once they come across these videos.
In conclusion, Video CMS software is definitely one of its kind and of course considered to be a boon for the ones looking to clone YouTube.
YouTube’s origins were rooted in a very different foundation to the one that upholds it today. It was started as a dating website in February 2005 by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim. Over the years, however, it has evolved into a site exclusively for video sharing. Today, YouTube is the world’s most popular and most populous video sharing website and the second most used search engine on the internet. Over a billion video consumption hours are clocked daily on the platform and over 400 hours of content are added to it every minute of everyday. YouTube’s most striking facet is that it speaks to a global audience, being available in 76 languages. It is used by individuals, celebrities and brands big and small, and boasts a universal appeal. But as much as it has done for the global video community, few people know the answer to this pertinent question: how does YouTube make money?
The answer? Intelligently.
The YouTube business model is underpinned by a variety of revenue streams, which the platform cleverly integrates to form a singular proposition for users. Inspired by the YouTube model, a crop of excellent next-gen video sharing websites has emerged. Some of these have been specialised, focused on niche topics like cooking and baking. iFood.tv, for example, is a close-knit community of cooking enthusiasts who share recipes with each other. Other platforms have been more mainstream, inviting videos across an array of topics to be featured. The primary growth engine for this cult phenomenon has been the rise of turnkey frameworks in the market. StreamTube, a video sharing technology, has gestated thousands of video sharing brands, world over. The deftly developed technology offers technology newbies a superior framework at a fraction of traditional launch costs.
Before we dive into how YouTube makes money, let’s understand how YouTube really works.
An Insight Into YouTube
You’re probably already familiar with the mechanics of YouTube, but if you aren’t, here’s a brief run-through of what the platform does and how it serves users. YouTube, a Google-owned entity, is a video sharing platform that enables users to upload videos, create their own channels, follow fellow users and share and comment on content. It also allows established content creators to monetise their content via advertising. Video consumption for users is free. Aside from its video framework, YouTube has also branched out into music and games, providing exclusive exclusive platforms for each.
The YouTube Business Model
Interestingly, YouTube doesn’t spin its margins from viewers; access to its content is free of cost. Its business model stems from its massive base of 30 million daily visitors. The fact that the platform garners so many eyeballs has presented several monetisation opportunities to YouTube. Most of these are some form of advertising, where advertisers, content creators and YouTube gain predetermined shares of revenue. Recently, YouTube has launched its first subscription model, a product called YouTube Red. The premium platform charges members a reasonable membership fee for access to exclusive content and privileges. The YouTube business model has proved massively successful and has been emulated by several smaller brands across the globe. StreamTube, for example has inbuilt monetisation tools that allow entrepreneurs to select a monetisation strategy that suits them.
Route 1. Advertising and Sponsorship’s
YouTube is an ideal platform for advertisers, because its reach is vast and broad. Sponsored videos in particular, can be crafted as native advertisements, slipping into the content ecosystem on YouTube seamlessly. Unlike advertisements, sponsored videos can garner individual interest from users if created well. For sponsored videos, an advertiser pays YouTube depending on how many views the sponsored video has received.
Pre-Roll and Mid-Roll Advertisements
You’re probably well acquainted with the annoying pre-roll ads that play before a video on YouTube. These are embedded advertisements that have been placed by advertisers. The great thing about ads is that they can be effectively targeted at specific user groups based on preset criteria. Ads come in various formats; pre-roll and mid-roll are two of the most popular. Pre-roll implies an ad being placed before the start of a video and mid-roll indicates a video being interrupted by an ad in the middle. Advertisements are usually charged to an advertiser based on how many views an ad receives. A certain percentage of this cost is paid as remuneration to the content creator whose video the ad was placed in. You may have noticed a ‘Skip Ad’ option on YouTube. If a viewer does indeed skip an ad, an advertiser is not liable to pay for the view at all.
Home Page Banner Advertisements
If you’ve logged into YouTube from your desktop, you’ll know that the landing page that opens is a repository of diverse content. Research suggests that video placed on a landing page can multiply conversions up to 80%. Thus, YouTube capitalises on the value of its landing page by charging advertisers a premium for ads placed there. The banner page can accommodate content in a plethora of formats and is a useful tool for advertisers.
Route 2. YouTube Red
Taking a leaf out of Netflix’s book, YouTube has launched its own premium subscription service called YouTube Red which offers users an elevated entertainment experience on YouTube, YouTube Music and YouTube Gaming. YouTube Red, priced at $10 per month, provides the following benefits:
- Ad-free experience
- Access to exclusive, locked content
- Offline consumption
- Screensaver play
- Audio mode
- Free access to Google Play Music
Route 3. Monetised Content
YouTube has collaborated with some of its prime content creators to created gated viewership for select channels. Those content owners who own coveted content on the platform now have the option of charging a subscription rental for their channel. YouTube and content creators are thought to share subscription revenue on a 45:55 basis.
The YouTube business model rests on volumes. If you’re new in the video sharing space, you may not have a formidable user base to support your advertiser universe. Until you’ve built up a sizeable set of users, employ alternative monetisation tools. Leverage sponsored videos, subscription services and premium content layers. Consider giving a free trial of your platform to lure users, and be sure to source excellent content that will keep your viewers coming back for more.
Live streaming has become a veritable sensation in technology circles, with the bigwigs of communication technology vouching for its relevance and potential. With the likes of Facebook and Google investing millions of dollars in live video features, live streaming has snatched the spotlight from its erstwhile, significantly larger counterparts like archived videos and on-demand content. Streaming has revolutionised the way that users seek content. Live streaming has been commoditised and a host of companies are jumping on board to make it a regular feature in their communication plan. Regardless of the nature of your communication, a live feed can be tailored to fit your content effectively.
Today, we take a look at two technology behemoths who have taken the live streaming industry by storm: Facebook Live and YouTube Live.
Facebook Live Video Streaming
Facebook Live is an intelligent extension to the Facebook core service. With the potential to tap thousands of people at a time, the Facebook Live service instantly notifies those following a page about the start of a live feed, drawing immediate users. The Live service is fairly simple on Facebook. The live streaming feature can be started from any Facebook-supported device and the system is as simple as posting a status message. However, it is important to note that live streaming is currently only supported on Facebook pages, not on personal profiles.
Initiation Process for Facebook Live Video Streaming
- Create a Facebook account
- Verify your account
- Create a Facebook page
- Set your video bit rate at or below 2500 Kbps
- Set your resolution at or below 1280 x 720
- Establish frames per second at 30
- Configure relevant video and audio sources
- Install encoding software
- Visit page and select ‘Publishing Tools’ > ‘Video’ > ‘Live’
- Enter the stream URL generated by Facebook into your encoder
- Enter a description overleaf
- Select ‘Go Live’ to kickstart your Facebook live stream
Merits of Facebook Live Video Streaming
- Facebook has a pre-built audience
- Facebook Live API is compatible with avant-garde cameras
- Facebook Live API pairs high-quality cameras with its inbuilt workflows
Demerits of Facebook Live Video Streaming
- Facebook Live content is not indexed in search engines
- Search engine optimisation becomes challenging as a result
- Facebook searches for live streams can be ineffective and complicated
- Older Facebook live streams can get buried under heaps of newer content
- The video interface on Facebook is no patch on specialised interfaces like YouTube
- The upper resolution limit sits at only 720p HD and not full HD
- The upper bit rate limit sits at only 2500 Kbps
- A Facebook live stream cannot exceed 90 minutes
- Facebook does not extend monetisation avenues to broadcasters
YouTube Live Video Streaming
Google’s very own live streaming platform, YouTube live is a much more conducive live broadcasting tool than Facebook Live. And while it’s fairly basic, it has myriad features packed into its folds.
Initiation Process for YouTube Live Video Streaming
- Create a YouTube/Google account
- Verify your account
- Create an additional AdSense account if you plan on embedding your stream on another webpage
- Connect your camera or webcam to your laptop or desktop
- Click on ‘Stream now’ to begin streaming
- Alternatively, select ‘Events’ to schedule a live event
- ‘Events’ lets you augment the quality of your YouTube live stream by using superior cameras and encoders
Merits of YouTube Live Video Streaming
- YouTube live streams are indexable on search engines
- YouTube live streams have the potential to stack quite high on Google as well as other engines
- The browsing experience on YouTube is easy and user-friendly
- YouTube has been developed to be be a forever archive of videos whereas Facebook is skewed towards current content
- YouTube Live API allows concurrent streaming across services and also allows the integration of apps with YouTube live stream
Demerits of YouTube Live Video Streaming
- YouTube live streams can result in a loss of content control due to its advertising policy
- YouTube ranks amongst the most-blocked services in the world
Other Live Video Streaming Providers
While Facebook and YouTube are amongst the most recognised live streaming providers in the world, they are only symbolic of the vast opportunity that exists in live streaming today. For entrepreneurs and marketers who are in search of a more augmented, professional live streaming experience, a tailor-made platform could work best. By opting to host your own stream, you can leverage novel monetisation techniques, diverse concurrent live streams and personalised features. Exclusive turnkey frameworks can help in the following ways:
- Monetisation of live streams
- Absence of competition on the same platform
- Gated access to specific geographical regions
- Use of custom videos
- Concurrent broadcasts
- Preservation of content rights
- Specialised technical platform support
Most exclusive live streaming frameworks encompass all of the aforementioned features at a certain fee. The pricing for these platforms varies greatly; while some are built for bigger businesses, others are built for smaller ones.
Here are the top 5 turnkey frameworks in the market.
Ustream is a high-standing live streaming provider and has been leading the market since its launch.
Ustream offers security features, embedding, playlist controls and social links. The framework also provides marketing intelligence, lead capture and analytics. Ustream comes with an API that allows streamers to navigate their content; in addition, it hosts a Player API and Channel API that control customisation.
Livestream is rooted in inclusive integration. Along with its framework, it also offers hardware such as encoders and cameras to power an end-to-end installation.
Livestream offers analytics, custom support and tracking tools, although these offerings are differentiated across pricing plans. The Livestream API framework is divided into three classes: API tools, Channel API and Player API, which work together to let you personalise, control and tweak your streams.
Brightcove has been designed especially for mid-range to larger businesses. It offers an array of monetisation tools as well as transcoding technology. The platform is directed at businesses that provide media and over-the-top content.
Brightcove provides ad-block technology, lead capture tools and integration features that plug into partner platforms. Brightcove houses a Media API as well as a host of other APIs that underpin the product categories of Brightcove.
Wowza has two primary offerings: Wowza Streaming Cloud and Wowza Streaming Engine.
Wowza Streaming Cloud is a cloud-based streaming tool that upholds 4K streaming, security features and a white label service. Wowza Streaming Engine is a software that lets you establish a streaming framework on your own servers.
StreamNow is a versatile, inclusive software that has made waves in technology communities across the globe. Designed exclusively for small and mid-sized businesses, it is an ideal combination of utility and aesthetics. Plus, it is affordable and can be set up swiftly.
StreamNow offers superior live streaming quality, customisation features, a sturdy admin console and fluidity across devices and operating systems. Its technology stack, which includes WebRTC, Node.js and Bootstrap, rivals some of the best live streaming frameworks in the world. StreamNow can be plugged into your existing technology stack.
Whatever your budget, objective and size, there’s always a way that you can use live streaming to build your business. Pick a live streaming technology that complements your business and get started on your journey.
Streaming any event “live” was considered to be fiction before the onset of radio and television. Live broadcasts such as sport occurrences, contemporary news, musical performances, award functions and many more can be forecasted on the internet in this century without any hassles. YouTube broke all the possible barriers by permitting YouTubers with more than a hundred subscribers to stream their videos live. Webcams, spectacular cameras and a decent internet speed are some merest obligations in the form of live streaming tools that would certainly gratify your needs. Now you can take a breather and stream your videos from your house, workplace or during any event or occasion.
Live stream on YouTube essentially labels screen resolution as a priority. While commencing a live stream on YouTube, you as an uploader would definitely prefer a HD quality video rather than enduring something in standard definition. An adequate internet speed must be available to support High Definition videos. Rendering a video is 720p or 1080p would be much more captivating than uploading a video at 480p. Summing up, the live stream primarily depends on frequency range or bandwidth.
Some of the Merest Requirements to Live Stream a Video on YouTube:-
- A HDMI camera which would be able to shoot High Definition videos is of utmost priority. DLSR cameras with high end specifications can be fruitful during the initial stages. Later on one can always invest on studio equipments and expensive apparatus.
- Your system or computer must agree to specific requisitions in order to back the encoder. A dedicated graphics card, an updated Operating System, a neat processor is what one would require to install in their systems.
- Software such as StreamTube would act as an encoder for creating a YouTube clone whereas live streaming software such as StreamNow would provide you with an encoder for live streaming. An encoder is generally used to constrict the audio and video of the file so that it is can be uploaded on YouTube. The content is transcoded by YouTube into meager bit rates which would aid users to stream the video over a number of platforms.
- With a mediocre broadband speed of 14.7Mb/s available in the UK most YouTubers are able to stream their videos in HD from their dwellings.
- Setting up condenser microphones and a soundproof environment is crucial in this venture. Any external noise would disrupt the aspect of the live stream. Audio and lip synchronization should be accurate while using more than one camera.
- Proper lights must be employed so that the video does not go haywire and contributes to the flawlessness of the project. An impeccable video is only possible with contrasting lights impending from professional studio lamp setup.
- YouTube is one such portal which acknowledges multi camera facility making multiple streams possible simultaneously. Assorted encoders and a variety of system networks are mandatory while initiating the concept of multiple camera usage. A video mixer and a genius with the camera are essential in launching a video with smooth switching of frames.
Live Streaming Agendas must Pursue this Path:-
First of all, your channel needs to be documented and it must not have any stream constraint or restrictions in the last three months. You must have a Creator Studio Tools installed on your system which would navigate you to the option for Live Streaming. Now create a live stream from your YouTube application on your system or mobile.
YouTube implements three generic ways to create a live stream namely Events, Mobile and Stream now. Stream now is a technique where components such as frame rate and resolution are being identified by YouTube unquestionably. While the YouTuber is live, Stream now converts the content into all possible resolutions ranging from high to low so that anyone with any connection speed can relish your live videos time to time.
How would you go Live Immediately? Stated below are some steps which would answer your queries:-
- First of all, setting up the encoder using the Server URL is vital. Without the implementation of the software live stream on YouTube won’t be initiated.
- The Basic Info space needs to have a header and a description box. Adding fashionable thumbnails representing your event can also be installed.
- Privacy and Security settings must be according to your choice. You can select Unlisted, Private or Public which would cater to your needs.
- The streaming options tab would offer you user friendly features such as low abeyance and higher traits. Latency would be negligible or null and video will stream in the best possible quality. Latency can also be nullified by using an interface with your system.
- During live sessions on YouTube or during promotional feeds one can also interact with the spectators with the cooperation of a live chat box. With the YouTube share gadget one can also share their content across abundant platforms.
- Once the content is halted from the side of the encoding YouTube automatically brings the stream to an end.
- The YouTube application also needs to endow authorization to access the camera and microphone.
- An event can also be created by similar steps used for Stream now; i.e to navigate to the Live Streaming option and choose Events from the dropdown. Accomplishing the task of filling up the Basic Info box is followed by Clicking on the new button to create a fresh event. Other strides are quite identical to the ones listed above.
- Mobile phones and gaming consoles with the advent of the Chromecast feature are also acting as a helping hand for live streams.
- You can also stream an event or a speech from your mobile phone just by picking the capture button and selecting the “Go Live” option. From the privacy setting it is feasible to filter age restriction options.
- Choosing an impression for your video thumbnail is imperative. Uploading an alluring photograph would draw the attention of more users to your video. Tap share and go live immediately.
Having a couple of encoders in a couple of computers with one encoder in each as a backup tool is eminently recommended. It would be highly felicitated if the two systems have different broadband sources. Video uploaders must be aware that the broadband is being solely used for the live streaming purpose only. Using the broadband for some other application simultaneously would cause possible hindrance in the path of live streaming. Testing is a compelling chore which must be executed even if every apparatus, hardware and software is in place. Implementing a test video one week prior to the actual event is commendable. A complete dress rehearsal is advisable prior to the live stream.
Cost and Monetization Aspects
The cost of production depends on varying factors such as equipment charge, tariff in case of rented apparatus, encoder and software outlay. Streaming a live video over YouTube is expensive but again the monetization options paying the uploader maintain a symbiotic relationship. If one needs to make money by live streaming, then the ones uploading the content must choose their options wisely.
Empowering advertisements can assist in earning satisfying remunerations. Once your channel is open to monetization options, YouTube post confirming your eligibility would activate ads which will serve as a part of your content. Uploaders can register with three different types of advertising preferences. In case the uploader wishes to stream his ad before the outset of the content then it is recommended to go for Pre-Roll ads whereas Mid-Roll Ads operate in between the live stream just like any television oriented program. Overlay ads spurt beside the content and on different corners of the page.
How to Enable Monetization Options?
For an event monetization one needs to select some options such as “Monetize with Ads”. Coinciding or syncing the preview player to the Control room must be integrated before the onset of the content. The preview plays automatically once the “Start Streaming” button is tapped. The Stream now block also contribute funds which can be achieved by clicking the “Play Ad” button. Once clicked, YouTube will demonstrate a video advertisement to numerous YouTube savvies which won’t be forecasted on your Control Room. Skipping advertisements would redirect users to the actual content which had been uploaded by you.
Interested to make money by live streaming? This is as elementary as a child’s play. Paid work is always favored. Payments boost and upsurge the quality of service. A mutually beneficial transaction is relevant in most spheres of life. Showcasing your talent and getting paid for it is sanctification. It encourages more individuals to unveil their talents in front of the virtual world which would be perceived by real world followers. Being reticent won’t be a dilemma anymore since you don’t have to stand in front of a mob to recite your phrases; YouTube will stream them live for you! Acquiring fans and followers is no more an inconvenient option for experts across various fields.
YouTube is a website where users can upload, share, view, report and comment on videos. They can subscribe to other users. It uses Adobe Flash Video technology to display a variety of corporate media videos and user generated videos. It also uses WebM along with the flash video technology. Registered users can upload an unlimited number of videos and can add comments to videos, while unregistered users can only watch them on site. The videos that are deemed offensive / sensitive are accessible only to users who register themselves to be an adult. The site earns advertising revenue mostly from Google AdSense, a program that targets ads according to site audience and contents. The videos, most of them are free to view but few of them include premium channels that have to be subscribed. The website has been ranked second most popular site by a web traffic analysis company called Alexa Internet.
Some Interesting Observations on YouTube
Favorite Video Sharing Website
YouTube is the most famous video sharing website than all other websites that provides a facility to download and upload without any limit.
United States Viewership
United States is listed among the top listed countries for its viewership and comes at 2nd number in the top ten ranking list. The US is next to United Kingdom for watching YouTube the most, in the world. Many people in the US are interested in earning through YouTube just by uploading videos such as movie trailers, funny videos, horror videos, news videos and other interesting videos and various other types of videos for different channels.
Videos are not only about shooting and uploading, but money in there is huge and with 1-2 years of experience in making videos people can get money out of it.
Other Ways of Monetization
There are other ways to earn money rather than just uploading the videos.
- The best money making way is to sell your products using YouTube with SAAS websites such as Shopify.One can make videos that fit in to your product niche
- Build the brand name through the videos and once established, begin to drive traffic to landing pages where you can up-sell the viewers with premium content. You can use Yondo which let you create your own stores that sells on-demand video contents with domain name.
- Attract the sponsorships where the amount generated through revenue from sponsorships is substantially more than YouTube ad revenue.
- Live speaking engagements is a great way to generate thousands of dollars from just an hour or few minutes’ long presentations.
FACTS about YouTube:
- The total number of people using YouTube all over the world are more than1.3 billion.
- The first video was uploaded on 23rd April 2005
- Every single day about 5 billion videos are being watched and 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute YouTube got 300 million visitors a day.
- 25 billion hours of video is being watched on YouTube every month.
- About 10,0000 videos are generated over 1 billion views and 80% of YouTube views are from outside of US.
- Male users are 62% while female users are 38%
- There are 500+ million channels on YouTube
- Average viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes and the average number of mobile YouTube video views per day is more than 1 billion.
- YouTube on mobile and overall reaches more to 18-49 and 18-35 olds compared to any cable network in the US
- 9% of small businesses of the US use YouTube
- Due to navigation option from YouTube to 76 different languages, it is viewed widely by 95% of internet population.
- Approximately, a video creator when upload a video on YouTube, can earn up-to $2000 for every million views.
How to get benefit from YouTube as an Entrepreneur or Freelancer?
- Few entrepreneurs hosting YouTube channels, focuses on their company’s welfare and what lessons one can learn from their business. This Week in Start-ups channel, one such example is the channel hosted by Jason Calacanis. The in-depth interviews uploaded in the channel keep the viewers up to date with the latest happenings in the digital world. Various channels are maintained to provide insights that may be considered for setting your own setup.
- In YouTube, few channels are built to provide information for Entrepreneurs. For instance, Entrepreneur Magazine brings the latest information and ideas in short daily videos. The topics range from current topics to inspirational advices from business world icons like Richard Branson.
- Small Business Administration is a YouTube channel started 50 years ago, which provides entrepreneurs with financial, advocacy and counselling services online and in person. Such videos have a higher number of subscribers and earnings would be higher as it efforts to educate people who are starting their own companies.
- For freelancers, YouTube is becoming a viable marketing option. They can create a video that explains the writing, intake processes for a client. They can also make an online portfolio that showcases your work and add music to it.
- A freelancer software developer can make approximately $100 per hour by using YouTube channel.
In short, using YouTube as a source of income by having your own channel can be quite beneficial for anyone. No need of prior expertise, just sell what you are good in and you will witness the results in a matter of a few weeks.
How to Make Money from YouTube?
Making money on YouTube by just uploading your favorite or informative videos would be a passionate job for any one. People who are at home or for home makers, this would be a great idea. There are various steps to learn how to make money on YouTube. They are as follows.
- Build your Own Channel: First thing for building your own channel is signing up. You are required to create an account with a username and a strong password. Then, create your own channel on YouTube or of your personal presence with a camera. Each account has one YouTube channel attached to it and it is similar to Google account where you get access to other Google products such as Hangouts, Drive and Gmail.
The next major thing is to add keywords such that people can find your channel easily. This can be done by adding keywords by navigating to the advanced section of the channel settings.
The most important thing is to relate the keywords with the content. The username added by you can sometimes work against you. Therefore, if it the username is short, original and easy to remember then people will be apt remembering you. If you are using an existing account then you can change by editing in Google+ account.
- Add content: To make money on YouTube, try to upload a content that is of high-quality and not overlong which keeps continuing where users may get bored. To stay consistent, you can also try to upload regularly. If you are a beginner and fresh to the field of making videos and uploading to make money on YouTube, and the content is not great then, tread with caution.
Try to improve and make each video better than the previous one. Your audiences shall admire your video making skills.Be informed that the quality of the content can be improved by using a better digital camera and using advanced software or techniques.
To improvise the quality of the film or video, use tripod or get a friend for help to light the scenes better. These all aspects result in a better product that in turn gets better audience which helps you make money on YouTube.
Upload the videos regularly, and that can help to hold the audience. If people show interest in the channel for watching the videos, they are more likely to subscribe. You need to maintain the mentioned schedule as much as possible. Tag the videos using keywords that describe the content with eye-catchy and impressive description. This, in turn, drives people to your videos from searches.
- Gaining Audience: Do you know even how much money do YouTubers make? Audience are the main source to make money on YouTube. Hence, building them is the key to make money from YouTube. This again narrows down to the ulterior motive of making people watch the ads, in order to make money from them. Making the best content is the only secret to improve the views that increases the number of audience or viewers. Try to get them hooked by uploading content regularly.
Sharing the videos on Facebook and Twitter which helps you get the audience. Interacting with audience by responding to their comments and making videos related to their comments and question can help you with it. Connecting with your own community.Keep adding other members into your community. This strategy will help you to make money from YouTube.
- Monetization: To make money on YouTube videos, enable monetization. In other words, allow YouTube to place ads in your video. Acknowledge that there is no copy writing in the content. To monetize :
- Visit YouTube, then click “My Channel”
- Click “Video Manage” link on top bar
- Click the channel and enable monetization
- To start earning money on YouTube get at least ten thousand views: Monetize the video after uploading using Video Manager Option and click “$” sign next to the video to be monetized. Check the monetization option by enabling Monetize with Ads box.
- Enable Google AdSense: Enable Google AdSense from AdSense website for free. Signup to create a personal account. Please be informed that you need to be an adult to maintain a personal account. AdSense verifies you to send money, by information from bank account or PayPal account and a valid mailing address.
You can earn money from YouTube only by ad click and smaller amount per view that adds up over time. Therefore, having audience plays an important role.
- Analytics: Check your analytics after having some videos online. Once you get them monetized, the onus is inherently on you to check the analytics to see how the videos are performing. In the analytics option, you can view the demographics and estimated earnings, ad performance and views. There is always an option to change your marketing strategy if the audience are not interested to view your videos.
- Marketing: Do not stick on only to YouTube to earn money. Use content marketing strategies. For instance, you may start a blog or post them on other social or other video sites. Make a website because, the more views it gets, better are the chances of earning money from YouTube. By sharing the link on the social websites, the chances of getting noticed are also high.
- Partnership with YouTube: YouTube partners have monetized videos with a large number of viewers. They have an access to content creation tools which can win rewards for the number of viewers they have. YouTube partner page is the place where you can join for the partnership with YouTube.
- Use the services: Me is a service that allows you to easily create quizzes and polls that helps to increase the revenue. Create a questionnaire and invite audience to answer it. More the people visit the page on Supp.me, the more you earn money from YouTube. This a great way to get the feedback and to increase the earnings from YouTube.
What is StreamTube?
StreamTube is a turnkey Content Management System that lets users build a YouTube clone site. It is a video CMS (Content management system) having standard features of YouTube, thereby enabling you to launch your own video sharing website. The CMS for StreamTube is powerful and feature-rich. It is designed to handle a huge volume of data. It provides all the necessary technological features to create a niche of video sharing website which in turn can generate traffic from the search engines.
It is not only a software with various interesting features but has monetization channels, embedded model and it is open sourced which enables the user to customize as they like.
- Ads Management: To make money, the user can enable the ads option for their uploaded videos. This feature enable the user to decide how and where the ads need to be displayed. They can change the settings of advertising campaign.
- Creating and subscribing the channel: Users can create multiple number of channels and the viewers can watch them by subscribing to the channels of their interest. They can get notifications from the subscribed channel for new video uploads.
- Dynamic Administration: It has a dynamic and robust admin panel which gives a wide range of options to the users. Such options include: adding, editing, updating, removing individual’s profile or any uploaded video.
- No limitations: The users can create and upload unlimited number of videos on their platform. The scalable architecture of StreamTube handles unlimited users at the same time.
- Cost effective strategies: It has a very cost effective search engine optimization module (SEO) that grabs organic traffic and will also help to create brand awareness.
- Payment Options: The payment collections are through PayPal which seamlessly facilitates payments from all over the globe. Has other convenient payment options too.
- Video resolution conversion: There is a feature called Auto resolution which can convert a high definition video in to multiple versions. A video can be watched in any resolution with the help of this feature. Compatible with Android and iOS.
- Report Abuse: Any user or video that abuses laws of the website can be flagged and there is an option to ban these reports through admin panel.
Advantages of having a YouTube like site rather than having a YouTube channel:
YouTube channel has made advertisements with un-skippable timeline of 30 seconds where the user has to wait for a few more precious seconds before watching the next video. The advertisements not only hinders business relations but also affect important business events. The channel lacks seriousness because it is mainly being watched for entertainment. Professionalism is lacking to some extent and chances of embarrassment are high in case of professional meetings where embarrassing ads would be played before going to the main content.
The Channel is public where anybody can watch the videos especially, small kids who watch objectionable content without parental guidance. Limited customization where you cannot choose a template design of choice and the logo cannot be tweaked from the video player.
If you have any doubts or concerns, feel free to drop a line or two in the comments section. I shall reply in a day or two. Keep watching this space to learn more about YouTube marketing strategies. Subscribe to our newsletter to keep yourself abreast of various video marketing strategies. My best wishes are with you and your YouTube channel. Cheers!
There is no denying that people find tremendous value in the most dominant video hosting platform YouTube. Ever since its entry in 2005, YouTube has engaged in full blown confrontations with popular video hosting platforms such as Vimeo and budding platforms and eventually reduced most of them to pointless also-rans. Not astonishingly, many video hosting startups had an early exodus due to the sheer power of YouTube. In 2015, YouTubers were uploading nearly 500 hours of content every minute. Today, YouTube is hero-worshipped by its ever growing active billion users who upload more than 750 hours of content every minute. While these numbers are absolutely overwhelming, what’s surprising is the fact that YouTube is actually a platform meant for entertainment. That businesses do not rely much on YouTube remains a point to ponder. More often than not, businesses rely on YouTube alternatives.
Given the hype surrounding YouTube, often one doesn’t pay attention to its drawbacks. Let me not dodge the question- Are there any drawbacks? Of course, there are a few serious drawbacks.
For all intents and purposes, YouTube is considered an entertainment platform. Many brand managers advice content marketers to remove old videos from YouTube as such videos might not convey the latest message. If brands rely only on YouTube for content marketing, brand dilution becomes a ground reality. The scope of YouTube for businesses is limited and overshooting the frontiers to execute video marketing strategy may have major implications.
YouTube lacks seriousness because it is a video hosting platform meant for entertainment. Possibilities of embarrassment are very high. For instance, if you are playing a professional presentation before your potential investors and in the suggested videos, if your competitor’s presentation gets listed, it will be a scathing embarrassment. Just imagine if the “Watch Next” section suggests an NSFW video. I don’t think any of your investors will be open to any further rapprochement.
Two threads – Perception and Professionalism are clear. Coming to advertisements, YouTube has made advertisements with timeline less than 30 seconds un-skippable. In other words, you should wait for a few precious seconds before switching to the next video. If you are presenting your 2-minute investor pitch before a panel of investors, how annoying can advertisements get? Not only do advertisements hinder business relationships but also ruin important business events.
YouTube is Public:
Yes, YouTube is public and literally, anybody can watch your videos. Moreover, YouTube doesn’t require its audiences to sign in so as to view the content. However, it is mandatory for users to sign in if the content is sensitive. If small kids watch objectionable material without parental guidance, who is to be blamed? If your venture is associated with adult products, complications are simply too many to be ignored.
As far as video player customizations are concerned, options are limited. You can choose a template design of your choice, but to say YouTube is rich in design is an absolute farce. Moreover, you cannot tweak the YouTube logo from its video player. This certainly asserts that custom branding prospects are missing in YouTube’s scheme of things.
Privacy invasion and copyright infringements are extremely common on YouTube.
In the light of all the disadvantages mentioned above, it is important to take a look at the following alternatives to YouTube:
Vimeo is an alternative to YouTube and largely caters to artists. It reaches more than one hundred million audiences every month. While corporate promotional content is strictly forbidden for free accounts, premium account holders can do away with such restrictions. Vimeo is doing everything right to show its dominance and magnanimity in the community of artists. People who pursue a career in music, dance, cinematography, photography etc., can be labeled as artists. In other words, people who engage in creative work come under the broad umbrella of ‘artists’.
Vimeo has a lot of advantages. I would like to compare the bit-rates of YouTube and Vimeo. It is noteworthy to mention that Vimeo uses higher bit rate than YouTube. Vimeo is also known to support 4K quality videos and users have a choice of selecting their own thumbnails for their respective videos. Many competitors and leading platforms have extreme limitations when it comes to thumbnails.
Vimeo – Types of Accounts:
There are three types of accounts in Vimeo: Free, Plus and Pro. Free account holders are given 500MB disk storage per week. There is also a restriction on the number of videos that can be uploaded per day and the number stands at 10. Of course, users have enough access privileges to create a restricted number of channels and albums.
Plus account is a premium account and its features can be availed for $59.95 per year. Plus account holders are given 5GB disk storage per week. In other words, nearly 250GB disk storage per week is given to Plus account holders. Plus accounts have advanced analytics and support feature. Typically, conversions for videos uploaded through this type of account are higher and much better than those of free accounts.
Pro account is yet another premium account in Vimeo. It is costlier than a Plus account. At present, all the features of Pro account can be availed at $199 per year. Pro account holders each get disk storage of 20GB per week. Apart from super-fine advanced analytics and privacy settings, features such as VIP support and private links are also present. The logo of Vimeo video player can be tweaked and third party logo can be embedded.
Viewers can sit back and relax as all the three accounts have unlimited bandwidths with zero advertising. But that’s not the big story – the big question is How do video enthusiasts and entrepreneurs monetize this platform? Vimeo’s video on demand feature allows you to sell your videos or rent them out for premium prices. There are also provisions to generate coupon codes and bundle offers. There are several built-in options to enable file (audio and video) sharing as well.
Wistia is another video hosting alternative to YouTube. It provides a conducive environment to choose a custom color that matches your brand. Challenges such as hosting own video content and creating a custom player are often in an uneasy embrace with users. This is where Wistia comes as a messiah and addresses any immediate concerns. You can handle multiple professional projects in Wistia. For instance, you can create a project, name it as per your discretion and group all the videos together. There is also a provision to tweak privacy settings of the videos.
To handle multiple projects, create separate folders. You can upload videos either from Google Drive or Dropbox to the corresponding folders. As an alternative, you can use Wistia’s built-in drag and drop feature. It is advised to drag the videos in a sequential order. You are at liberty to tweak their settings and set captions. It makes perfect sense to capture email addresses of audiences. Wistia has a provision for this as well. Not only does Wistia allow you to capture email addresses of viewers but also enables you to embed a link which redirects viewers to your site.
Wistia is a platform for professional video marketers. Its advanced analytics is like no other. It’s much applauded Heat Maps tool throws glorious insights wherein graphics portray how much of every video was watched and which parts were perceived interesting by audiences. Of course, it also provides insights on which parts of the video were skipped and re-watched. This advanced analytics tool is extremely valuable when it comes to planning and scheduling future productions. If you are looking to build a solid video strategy, you should definitely visit Wistia’s blog and video library.
Wistia – Types of Plans:
Following four types of plans are available in Wistia:
- Free: This plan entails storage space for only 5 videos. Advanced features are absent.
- Basic: This plan is available for $25 per month and entails storage space for 25 videos. This plan comes with a white-label video player.
- Advanced: This plan costs your $50 per month. This plan entails storage space for as many as 50 videos. All advanced features are present.
- Pro: This is the costliest of all four plans. This plan entails storage space for 500 videos and it costs you $100 per month. Needless to say, all advanced features can be leveraged with zero restrictions.
Emerging and established enterprises usually have high storage space requirements. Hence, Wistia has dedicated enterprise plans starting from $300 per month. There is another pricing scheme based on the consumption of bandwidth.
As far as data usage is concerned, users are charged on a per GB basis. So how much do users of free, basic, advanced and pro pay? They pay 33 cents per GB. For enterprise plans, the payout per GB is much lower.
Monetization options in Wistia aren’t that attractive. Subscription based revenue model can be deployed besides Pay per View.
Over the past few years, Vidyard has been portraying itself as the best YouTube alternative and rightly so. Primarily built for content marketers, Vidyard is in the books of freelancers, small, mid-size and large enterprises. It is supported on web-based platforms and other operating systems such as Mac, Linux and Windows. Known for its unparalleled security and peerless configuration, Vidyard has a comprehensive analytics software suite integrated into it. One important leg of Vidyard’s analytics software which requires a special mention is – Behavioral Analytics. This module analyzes the behavior of users and throws insights on the same. All the video content can be shared to multiple social networking platforms such as Facebook and Twitter in just a couple of clicks. Not so long ago, Business2Community applauded Vidyard for its custom branded video player.
Graphical user interface or video interface offered by Vidyard is pleasantly simple and the number of Call-to-Action features is simply limitless. There are 10 website colors available. Vidyard is working on this specific area with an aim to provide multiple choices. Also, there is a provision to conduct AB testing. You can thus determine which thumbnail works wonders and which doesn’t. Other noteworthy features include adaptive streaming, content syndication, and HTML5 support.
Pricing is customized and to a very large extent depends on the requirements of users. More often than not, businesses and large firms neatly fit in Vidyard’s scheme of things.
If you are looking to spread awareness about your brand, Vidyard is definitely one of the best alternatives to Youtube. This might come as an unpleasant surprise but monetization options are almost nil. You cannot make sales based on Pay per View scheme. Also, there are no provisions to start a dedicated subscription-based revenue model. For marketing and sales efforts, Vidyard is the go-to platform. For monetization, Vidyard is simply not conducive.
It is difficult to find a single phrase that explains the brilliance of Brightcove. This alternative of YouTube has been in the business since 2004. In other words, it is much older than YouTube and has been a leader in the enterprise video hosting market. Apart from providing rock solid hosting to fortune 10 companies, Brightcove has become dominant in high-end market as well. Brightcove supports the following two types of live streaming
- Ad-free live streaming
- Ad-supported live streaming
Vidyard lacks monetization features. On the other hand, Brightcove has a veritable array of monetization features. Brightcove is used not only by big enterprises but also by publishers and broadcasters. Its popularity among content marketers requires a special mention. Intent and focus of users vary and hence, Brightcove video solutions are compartmentalized into two broad categories: Media and Brands
This platform is devised to enhance the quality of playback experience. Known for its social sharing features which lead to better conversions and capture, Brightcove has an assortment of proven growth hacking features such as video library manager, hybrid digital TV, behavioral analytics, transcoder etc. This suite of video hosting solutions is supported on Android, iOS and web-based platforms.
Its pricing model is quote based. In other words, you are charged as per your requirement of features. And yes, talk to a representative of Brightcove for any doubts. Before opting for any package, use their 30-day free trial.
Brightcove supports a wide assortment of monetization solutions such as advertising, pay per view and video subscriptions. Thanks to advanced client interaction, sponsors keep hitting your venture. You can monetize your videos across various social networking platforms and embedded websites.
This professional video hosting solution offers a 14-day trial period. You can try their tons of features which facilitate lead generation and engagement tracking. Lead generation is accelerated through call-to-action buttons which elicit email-addresses of intended target audiences. Thanks to advanced analytics and heat maps, video engagement data, and data related to geo-tracking can be obtained. By the way, HTML5 video playback is supported. As far as privacy options are concerned, there are enough features. You can have all your videos password protected. Apart from public visibility mode, private visibility mode is also present. For each and every video, you are at liberty to set multiple logins. Be informed that videos are set to private by default. Other notable features include HD video support, custom video players, and a comprehensive API.
There are five different types of pricing plans:
$1 / GB
$0.80 / GB
$0.60 / GB
$0.40 / GB
$0.20 / GB
This platform doesn’t have many enticing monetization features. However, this video hosting platform can be integrated with other e-commerce platforms and advertising networks.
All the aforementioned YouTube alternative sites are good. But however, none of the platforms is complete and perfect. For instance, monetization features in certain platforms are absent while in other platforms, disk storage costs and hosting costs are soaring and not affordable. And truth be told, your video hosting platform cannot be a crowd puller unless it looks like YouTube. Building sites like YouTube are possible only through turnkey video Content Management System (CMS).
StreamTube is a killer turnkey software aesthetically designed to build video streaming sites like YouTube. In other words, this CMS helps you build YouTube clone sites. This comes with a host of advantages i.e., you are the master of your site. You can deftly manage your own videos. Monetization channels such as advertisements, dynamic subscription plans, Pay per View, Pay per Video etc., can be implemented. To strengthen bonds with businesses, there are a plenty of growth hacking features as well. In all likelihood, you can savor the company of sponsors and make your venture simply stunning and stellar.
Other features such as advanced analytics, transcoding and customization are priceless and are very much inherently built-in. If your venture is strewn with obstacles, issues, and doubts, the support staff of StreamHash will address them immediately. They will bring a dose of assistance and warmth. Head on to StreamTube now to know more about this CMS features.
Let us know your thoughts by dropping a line or two in the comments section. We would love to hear from you. Subscribe to our newsletter and keep watching this space for insights on video hosting and YouTube alternative applications. Our best wishes are with you and your video hosting venture. Cheers!